The week-long event hosted by Mercedes-Benz kicks off this Sunday. Runway shows, presentations and key industry events provide Australian designers with the platform to link up with an international audience of buyers, press and consumers.
Here’s how you can get in the on the action…
1. The Shows. The official schedule was announced back in March and has rightfully attracted a lot of buzz;
• Australia’s own Dion Lee is opening the show on Sunday night at the Sydney Opera House. Lee was the first ever designer to stage a runway presentation at the Sydney Opera House back in 2010, we should expect something spectacular.
• On Monday Sass + Bibe, the iconic Australian brand, will showcase their 2018 collection, this is the first time they have shown since 2003.
• Also look out for Alice McCall on Monday who is launching a “See now Buy now” model, all the pieces will be available to order live from the runway.
• Look out for home-grown newcomer Anna Quan is making her runway debut on Wednesday 17th, she describes her collection as being “ from day to night, or work to play”. Quan has dressed celebrities such as Kendal Jenner and Karlie Kloss since her successful “Innovators” event at last year’s MBFWA so she’s definitely worth checking out!
View the schedule for MBFWA 2017 here.
2. “The Suites”. This new concept allows emerging talent to showcase their collections without having a runway slot. Catherine Bennett, the SVP and managing director of IMG’s Fashion Events and Properties said “The Suites concept provides business opportunities beyond the runway, offering our designers exclusive time with industry professionals who can help them sell and promote their brands globally.”
3. The Place to Be. Another change this year is that the MBFWA HQ will now be in Sydney’s inner-city eastern suburb Woolloomooloo. A three-year partnership has been agreed between the fashion week organisers and the harbour side Ovolo Hotel. So if you are a keen to spot some VIPs and International guests you know where to go, they will be shuttled between the hotel and events at the Carriage works by Mercedes-Benz (obvs). The Ovolo will be hosting a range of exclusive activities including live-stream broadcasting from the runway. There will be a special fashion inspired drinking and dining menus in place as well as after-parties, model castings and photo shoots. Vogue US and Vogue Paris will both be in attendance at MBFWA so if you’re looking to be scouted to be the next top model you know where to go!
4. Social media. Get involved and inspired without even leaving your house using #MBFWA on Instagram to keep up with the models, designers and guests! Be the first to sport those new trends by being on the ball with your social media searching and scanning. If you don’t want to do the leg work yourself MBFWA sponsor Daily Mail Australia are there to help, their “Female Fashion Finder” promises to identify what certain celebrities are wearing within minutes of their appearance. They then provide the opportunity to directly purchase the same item or something similar and more affordable!
5. The Parties. To celebrate 10 years since Kym Ellery’s iconic debut at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia she had teamed up with sponsor Etihad, who are also celebrating 10 years in the business, to host a VIP-studded cocktail party. Instead of the normal runway Ellery will showcase her most famous and influential looks form the past decade. The Ellery x Etihad Airways 10th Anniversary celebration will take place on Wednesday at Carriage works.
6. The Giveaway. Ovolo Hotels will be giving away “The Ultimate Fashion Week Experience” to the King or Queen of Style. To enter all you have to do is snap yourself in your most MBFWA-worthy outfit in one of their three locations in front of a specially tagged mirror and upload to Instagram!